Removing annoying plus signs from message body and putting them elsewhere

ARRRGH,

Being new to mutt, the plus signs in the body of the message are driving me up
the wall.
They clutter up the message body from cut/paste.

However, where they could be usefil is when I get the index of my ~/Mail
directory and want to know which mailboxes I have unchecked mail in.  Ideally,
I would like to be able to glance at all the mailboxes in the directory and see
a (#) with # being the number of new messages i have in each mbox file so I
don't have to dig through each one to figure where I've got new mail.

If question has been repeated gratuitously, could someone at least tell me
where i need to RTFM for this info?    Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.