tags and color

When I tag things, I want the background color to change, but the
foregound color to stay the same. Is there a way to do this?

For example, I have:

        color index green default ~P
        color index red default ~F
        color index cyan default ~U
        color index cyan default ~O
        color index blue default ~D

When I tag them, I want the foreground color to stay the same, but the
background color to change. Now, I know I could set a new color line for
every line, like this:

        color index green yellow '~P ~T'
        color index green default ~P
        color index red yellow '~F ~T'
        color index red default ~F
        color index cyan yellow '~U ~T'
        color index cyan default ~U
        color index cyan yellow '~O ~T'
        color index cyan default ~O
        color index blue yellow '~D ~T'
        color index blue default ~D

But that seems like a lot of work (especially since I have a LOT more
existing color definitions than that (all of which modify the foreground
color)) for a relatively simple concept.

Is there a way around this?

~Kyle
--
I'm as fond of my body as anyone, but if I can be 200 with a body of
silicon, I'll take it.