Freeze when receiving messages (maildir)

When I receive new messages in the current folder (maildir format),
Mutt always freezes for several seconds. Folders aren't very big
(several hundred of messages). And while downloading many messages
with getmail, I can't use Mutt since it always freezes. Am I the
only one having such a problem?

100% validated (X)HTML - Acorn / RISC OS / ARM, free software, YP17,
Championnat International des Jeux Mathématiques et Logiques, etc.