Re: [mmd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: Alter egos]

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:21:18PM -0400, Matthew M Davis quoth:
> index/pager contexts: macros mapped to <f9> set my .sig file and
> 'my_hdr From:' to match my school role

Makes sense.

> compose context:      macros reset the variables to the default when
> I press 'q' (abort) or 'y' (send), so that once the message is either
> sent or not, I automatically revert to work email settings.

Mmm... unnecessary.

> Can anyone think of a better way to handle this problem?

Yes.

Changing your signature and From: headers is only necessary when you
START sending an email---for just reading an email, it doesn't matter
what identity you're using. So, why not make composing a message ('m',
'r', 'R', 'l', etc.) set your my_hdr and $signature variables to your
"work" personality, which can then be changed after the message has
started by using your <f9> macro? Alternatively, you could use a
send-hook ("send-hook . standardsettings"). Every new message will start
afresh with your work personality, regardless of what "mode" you had the
last time you sent a mail.

~Kyle

--
A man cannot be held responsible for what his mind does while he's asleep.
-- Jean Luc Picard