Re: charset question

> > Hello Martin,
> Hello Alain,

Hey, guys :-)

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 05:24:07AM EDT, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Alain Bench <messtic@xxxxxxxxx> [2004.09.08.1030 +0200]:

> [please keep CC'ing me]
I'm doing whatever Mutt's doing.  If the headers say to CC you, you'll get CCed.

$ grep edit_headers ~/.mutt/hooksrc | head -n 1
send-hook .      'set edit_headers=no'

...so I don't have the CC header up here in my editor, and I'm too lazy
to quit the editor just to check :-(

> >     Short: Can't work. You probably want single "windows-1252"
> >     here (it covers itself, and in turn Latin-1, and US-Ascii).
> >     You will not have UTF nor Latin-9 assuming, though.
>
> Well, I am glad to take your advice, but I don't see why I should
> use anything with "windows" in the name...

Well, you can change that too by hacking the iconv(3) in your glibc.
I don't think you even need to touch any code.  You can rename the
windows-1252 charset to linux-1252 if you want, but I'd be ashamed to
put the Linux name on something as stupid as the Windows 1252 codepage.
IMHO, UTF is a much better candidate for "Linuxization" of the name ;-)

> > only the first charset is used. As you /probably/ don't want UTF-8, you
>
> I should want UTF-8. I should force my readers to upgrade to
> unicode...

That's the purpose of Unicode, true.  Unfortunately, many within the
Unicode community itself disagree on that point.

> >     I don't think so, or only by accident: Here Latin-9 files are
> >     always wrongly seen as L1, and UTF-8 files are half time
> >     wrongly seen as L1 also. Highly inconsistent. May I suggest
> >     something as:
>
> I completely don't understand. In fact, this is all beyond me.
> I will try to read Mascheck's page...

Well, I bet you now _do_ understand why Unicode was created, eh? ;-)

> [please keep CC'ing me]

Uf, okay, since you're a nice guy and you asked twice, I looked in the
headers and saw you weren't in the CC header, so I added you in manually
(a royal pain in the posterior end, mind you - you've gotta postpone
the message, copy/paste your addy from the previous message, and then
resume the postponed message).  Please set the MFT header next time,
though, okay?  I always honor it unless I'm specifically asked not to.
If you have questions about how to set it with Mutt, you know where to
ask them :-)

 - Dave

Please visit this link (warning: not an unbiased news source):
http://rotter.net/israel