Re: S-Lang, FreeBSD, <home> / <end> key bindings problem

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>    Search Result 4
>
>       From: Derek Martin (invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
>       Subject: Re: S-Lang, FreeBSD, <home> / <end> key bindings problem

>                        Original Format

For some reason I didn't see this comment in my email (but google helps).

>    Newsgroups:
>    mailing.unix.mutt-users
>    Date: 2004-09-01 19:02:43 PST
>
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:06:13PM +0200, Udo Schweigert wrote:
> > > I'm guessing that you don't really support the port (as a user would
> > > expect), but are simply hacking at things.
> >
> > Seems guessing is the only thing you really are able to do.
>
> Well, if you support the port, then what is the solution?
>
> The fact is, the user has a problem with the new port.  It works fine
> with the old port, as it should.  It works with the new port, if the
> user manually compiles against ncurses, as it should.  However when
> compiling the default, something which should work does not.  Hence,
> the port is broken.  The fact that it is not broken for everyone,
> contrary to popular belief, does not mean it isn't broken...
>
> I also think Thomas's suggestion of termcap vs. terminfo entries being
> out of sync is a good place to start looking.
>
> So, to Andy:  What kind of terminal/emulator are you using, and what
> are your settings for the TERM variable?  Do you have any other
> related variables set in your environment, such as TERMCAP or
> TERMINFO, etc.?
>
> If you want to look at the termcap entries yourself, look at
> /etc/termcap, and also look at the man pages for infotocap and/or tic
> and tack.  You can use these commands to manipulate terminfo entries.

Unfortunately, he's using FreeBSD, which has a lobotomized version of
ncurses: no infotocap, no tic, no tack.  Just an implicit "no user
serviceable parts inside".

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net