Re: S-Lang, FreeBSD, <home> / <end> key bindings problem

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 18:44:14 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> > Most FreeBSD mutt users (-stable and -devel) prefer using slang (as do I),
> > but there are a very few who prefer ncurses, because of unusal key- and
> > color-bindings. As FreeBSD has established the POLA (principle of least
> > astonishment) the default is what most people want.
>
> And I would want it too if I knew how to configure key bindings to
> make it work again, hence me asking.  I don't care which it is
> compiled with as long as it works so if slang is the default I'd
> rather use that as I would have expected it to be better supported
> and tested.

It is by far better tested, as most people use it. The -stable mutt port
defaults to slang, as now (again) does the -devel port. I use the slang
version for many years now and hadn't had one problem with it.

> Sorry if I inconvenienced you by letting you know of this problem I
> was having.  It was not intended to be a complaint about the FreeBSD
> port, or its switch to slang.  I read UPDATING so I knew what to
> expect.

That wasn't an inconvenience and I'm really sorry for every user who has a
problem with the port. But: for me that seems to be a problem caused mainly
by your local environment. What terminal with which $TERM are you using, I
wasn't able to even reproduce your problem here with a Xfree86-xterm and
FreeBSD's cons25.

Best regards

--
Udo Schweigert, Siemens AG   | Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
CT IC CERT, Siemens CERT     | Fax        : +49 89 636 41166