Re: S-Lang, FreeBSD, <home> / <end> key bindings problem

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Andy Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Once again since upgrading to the latest mutt-dev FreeBSD port I
> find myself having key binding problems.
>
> I notice that teh latest mutt-dev port now uses S-Lang by default so

yes - port maintainers have whims.  Some of them test things before
introducing changes, while others just do it.

> I have gone along with that, and after a bit of tweaking did get my
> colours to work properly again, but I still can't work out what's
> gone wrong with my key bindings.
>
> I do ":exec what-key" and press <home> and get this:
>
> Char = ~, Octal = 176, Decimal = 126
>
> <end> is:
>
> Char = 4, Octal = 64, Decimal = 52
>
> but that doesn't seem right because those are the codes for the
> literal characters ~ and 4!
>
> Doing a <ctrl-v> <home> shows:
>
> ^[[1~
>
> Doing <ctrl-v><end> shows:
>
> ^[[4~
>
> which is what they have always shown, yet my old binds (generated by
> using what-key with mutt compiled for ncurses) no longer work.
>
> Anyone have any ideas or should I go back to using mutt with
> ncurses?

sounds like a good plan.  I'm guessing that the terminfo and termcap
entries that are configured aren't in sync, and that ncurses prefers the
terminfo entries, while slang prefers the termcap (some comments in the
newsgroups from time to time indicate that this is one of the
possibilities).

But it's been quite a while since I've found anyone knowledgable about
FreeBSD's installed configuration who has time to discuss this.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net