Question on new message notification + mailboxes

Greetings,

I did as thorough a search as I could, but couldn't figure out what is
the causing the following situation:

Basically, each of my defined mailboxes says it has new mail even when
there isn't new mail. I switch, say, to folder X because it's shown in
the index as having new mail, and up comes a notice that folder Y has
new mail as well. I switch to folder Y to find no new mail, and there's
a notification of new mail in folder X.

In index view each folder has the N flag to indicate new mail. I
basically go around in circles switching folders.

It seems like a problem related to access times, but I'm not sure how to
fix it. I'm on a machine running version 1.5.4i.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

R2J