Re: Retrieving POP mail

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, OvErboRed wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to mutt. I'd like to use it for my pop mail, but the only
> way I can do that is by hitting c followed by the long string
> pop://....  Why can't I hit G and get the same effect? I think I set
> my .muttrc pop settings correctly (see below), but hitting G downloads
> all the mail and then gives me a blank screen (and when i hit j/k it
> says "There are no messages"). Yet the mail definitely gets added into
> my spoolfile. What am I missing? Should there be any difference
> between the two methods?  And where does all the mail get downloaded
> to when I use c? (If it matters, I'm running the package distributed
> with cygwin on XP.) Thanks in advance.

I am not familiar with Cygwin, but I should assume that the best
solution would be to use something else than mutt itself to fetch your
mail. Mutt isn't really made for transport either in or out. There's
software much better at doing that than mutt itself. I know there's a
fetchmail pacakge for Cygwin. I would suggest looking into using that
instead of using mutt to get your mail off the mail server. fetchmail
has been rock solid for me on Linux and does one thing very well: Get
mail off mail servers.

Fetchmail for Cygwin can be found here:
http://www.cygwin.com/packages/fetchmail/

For delivering mail you could use sSMTP which also is available as a
package for Cygwin.

Finally you could use procmail to filter your mail into folders which
you would access with mutt. There's Cygwin packages available for this
as well. All this may sound a little "over the top", but a setup like
the above is a solid and versatile e-mail solution you will never
outgrow.

--
//Christian
Registered Linux User #228949 at: http://counter.li.org/