Re: encrypted mboxes

so spake Neil Watson [2004.08.19 @ 10:26]:
> Can't you just set the ownership of your files to 600?
they're already 600.  the thing is, on this network, it is very easy for
anyone with sudo access to become any other user and read their home
directory files, regardless of permissions.  neat, huh?

so spake Dave Pearson [2004.08.19 @ 10:30]:
> You can probably do this sort of thing with the "compressed folder patch"
> <URL:http://www.spinnaker.de/mutt/compressed/>. While the name might suggest
> otherwise this patch does let you specify what should be done to a folder
> before it is opened and what should be done with it after it is opened.

awesome.  i figured that this patch was going to be remarkably similar
to what i wanted to do and it would probably be a good place to start. i
didn't realize that one could specify what actions you wanted to take on
the mboxes, so this makes my life much easier.  thanks.

> It would, however, mean that there is an unencrypted copy of the folder
> kicking around while you're reading it.

even so, if one could at least put the unencrypted copy in an unintuitive
random location each time, or specified by the user, this will be _much_
better than nothing at all.  i'll work on this...

> <URL:http://www.spinnaker.de/mutt/compressed/doc.html> has an example of
> encryption and decryption towards the end of the page.

many thanks, everyone.
--
//  ste\/e || 0x44288D05 //