Re: mails from hotmail

Re: William Windels in <20040812010800.GA2385@localhost>
> I have problems to read some mails coming from hotmail-users.
> I think, the problem is , that the mails are send in the rtf-format.
> But, when I convert the text with unrtf to plain text, the strange
> symbols are not removed.

Hello,

hotmail doesn't send proper charset headers with their messages. The
text is declared to be in us-ascii or no charset at all. Mutt refuses to
display characters it doesn't know about, so you'll see lots of '?' or
'\123'.

If you want to do something about it, either use procmail to "tune" the
charset headers, or have a look at wiki.mutt.org/?PatchList, there are
some patches like "assumed_charset" that might help.

The Right Way would be to get hotmail to fix their crap, or to tell
their users to get a better webmail provider.

Christoph
--
cb@xxxxxxxx | http://www.df7cb.de/