Macro not working according to plan

Good evening,

I just switched my machine from FedoraCore 1 to Suse 9.1. It was a clean
install.
I've encountered a few differences in the configuration options between
Mutt 1.4.6i (I think) and 1.5.6i that comes with Suse. Not a big deal.
However, I have the following macro that worked fine under Fedora, but
now seems to screw up occasionally under Suse.

macro pager <F6> <read-thread><next-new><Return>

It's supposed to mark the thread read (which puts me back in index
view), jump to the next unread message, then go back into pager view at
that message. Sometimes it ends up at the "2nd" unread message. I have a
similar macro that runs fine when in index view.

macro index <F6> <read-thread><next-new><current-middle>

Am I missing something obvious here, or does anyone have an alternative
that would accomplish the same thing?

Thanks,
John
--
20 years of schoolin' and they put ya on the day shift.
                                        Bob Dylan.