Re: Simple editor that supports line wrapping

On 2004-07-30 17:11:21 -0700, Rob Reid wrote:
> At  4:28 PM PDT on July 30 Vincent Lefevre sent off:
> > Anyway, AFAIK, emacs doesn't support true line wrapping.
>
> ?!  Just what do you mean by true line wrapping?

A bit like in HTML: internally, one has real paragraphs (with no \n
inside paragraphs edited by the user), but when they are displayed,
word wrapping is performed. When saving the file, the editor should
do the necessary to generate the correct format wanted by the user
(e.g. nothing, insert \n characters, and so on).

> emacs can not only do normal line wrapping, but it is very smart
> about recognizing and properly handling indent strings (my main
> problem with jed for email).

No, it isn't smart at all. Just consider the following. Could you
do word wrapping on the paragaph before the items?

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
  * item 1
  * item 2

> If fmt or par are doing something better (it's not obvious to me),
> please explain what it is, since emacs can also pipe regions through
> them.

I don't know fmt and par. But Zap under RISC OS is doing better
(also called "soft word wrapping"). Unfortunately, there is no
Linux version. :(

100% validated (X)HTML - Acorn / RISC OS / ARM, free software, YP17,
Championnat International des Jeux Mathématiques et Logiques, etc.