Re: mail directory structures in mutt

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 07:19:10AM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Chris Green <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> [07-30-04 07:11]:
> > On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 05:15:27PM +0530, Abhay Pradhan wrote:
> >
> > > <shell escape> seems to be the only solution.
> > > what i could do is write a script which creates a directory which i
> > > pass to it. would that work?
> > >
> > Probably, but it seems a bit messy, I for on definitely feel that it
> > should be possible to create directories with 'native' mutt.  You can
> > create mailboxes, so why not directories to put them in?
>
> And, perhaps, edit photographs to make them more presentable when we
> attach them to an email?  We *can* email them, why not edit them also?

Er, that's being a bit obtuse to my mind.

I'll give you an example of my usage:-

    I order something via a web site.

    I get a confirmation E-Mail

    I save such confirmations in case I need to check the order and/or
    I want to order again.

    I have these mails saved in a directory ~/Mail/shopping with each
    category in a different sub-directory of shopping.

    When I buy something in a new category I want to create a new
    directory for the mail message (the mailbox itself will have the
    name of the supplier)

Thus I quite frequently need to create a new directory from within
mutt when I receive a mail I want to save as I save other important or
significant E-mail in similar hierarchies to my 'shopping' one.

Mutt is about reading mail, one of the things you want to do when
reading mail is to save it, that surely *is* a function of the MUA and
one expects to be able to specify a *path* to the palce to save it,
not just a filename.  If I can't specify a path then I want to be able
to create the directories to make the path.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)