Re: mutt - slow mbox'es

Am 2004-07-22 12:52:23, schrieb Patrick Shanahan:
>* Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@xxxxxxxxxx> [07-22-04 11:44]:

>> Since I have backuped my whole FileServer (including the installation
>> and refornmated the partitions with ext3 support, smaller blocksize
>> and more inodes, and installed back my Backup.
>
>If you were using ext2, a reformat to go to ext3 was *not* necessary.

It was neccesary, because 'tune2fs' can not change the number
of inodes... But there is a new Feature in preparation...

Dynamic Inodes...

>feeling or tested against the clock??

All two...
I am working very much with Mailinglists and if I open for example
the "lkm" which has more then 7000 messages a month and reduce the
open time to 40% (max) you do not need to make "time" tests.  :-)

My FileServer and my Workstation are on two GBit Ports of my 3Com
SuperStack III and I can get 70 MByte per second... with ext2 it
was arround 8-12 seconds to open a maildir of 45 MByte. Now I have
around 3-7 Seconds to wait wih ext3

>I see.  Did you know the main difference between ext2 and ext3 is
>journaling?  Which does not make *any* difference with reguard to speed
>unless you are running 2.6.+ kernel.  It makes recovery of a file-system
>better.

The Journaling FS is faster.

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi