Re: mutt - slow mbox'es

Am 2004-07-22 10:11:37, schrieb Patrick Shanahan:
>* Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@xxxxxxxxxx> [07-22-04 09:59]:
>>
>> Which filesystem do you use ?  "ext2" ?
>>
>> With Maildir use "ext3" or "reiserfs"
>
>Please explain why ext3 would be preferred over ext2 for "speed".

Dont know, it is only an experience...
Since I have backuped my whole FileServer (including the installation
and refornmated the partitions with ext3 support, smaller blocksize
and more inodes, and installed back my Backup.

It runs much faster...
All Machines which are running ext2 are slower the the ext3 ones.

This is why I love ext3  :-)

And, have a powerfail while writing to a mailbox on ext2...

Never had problems with ext3.

Oh yes, sind I have recompiled my 2.4.26 Kernel it supports
nfs-locking of mailboxes   :-)   I think, last year I have
already written that I have problems to write to my mailboxes
because mutt can not lock via nfs.

I have found the problem:

the default kernel-images have only nfs v2 without tcp support.

So you need on both ends the nfs v3 AND tcp support. after you
have installed the new Kernel export the filesystems with

  ____ ( '/etc/exports' ) ______________________________________________
 /
|  /home        *.tamay-dogan.net(rw,no_root_squash,async,insecure)
 \______________________________________________________________________

and on the client side mount it with

 /
|  samba3.private.tamay-dogan.ne:/home /home nfs
rw,bg,hard,intr,tcp,vers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 2

>Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi