Reqest for help in Mutt Courier-Imap setup

Hello,

I've been trying to setup the following to work together:
Postfix -> Maildrop -> Courier IMAP -> Mutt

My experience is with:
Postfix -> Procmail -> UW IMAP -> Pine

It's a bit of a jilter as I'm dealing with both the Maildir change and a
new client IMAP negotiation.

I largely followed this setup guide to configure my apps, although I am
using Gentoo:
http://www.firstpr.com.au/web-mail/RH90-Postfix-Courier-Maildrop-IMAP/

I have adopted this set of muttrc configurations:
http://www.davep.org/mutt/muttrc/

Stock - I can access my local Maildir (in my case ~/.maildir) just fine.
When I make the .muttrc changes for IMAP, things fall apart and I'm not
sure why.  What Mutt tells me is that SSL and TLS fail and then there's
a broken pipe.  The upshot is I get nowhere and I'm guessing the problem
is in negotiating the IMAP authentication.

In case it helps any, I've setup Squirrelmail on this box for my other
half.  It seems to work fine with the Cuirier IMAP configuration.

Can anyone offer some words of advice?

Phil