index sort

Hi,

I'm using Mutt 1.5.6i to read my mail over IMAP.

I don't really understand how Mutt sorts messages in the index menu.

I set sort=threads and sort_aux=last-date-received; this worked as
expected (and as described in the manual[1]) until I moved my mails
to a new IMAP server (using imapsync[2]). Since then messages don't
seem to be sorted correctly anymore. Setting sort_aux=last-date
partially solves the problem, but I don't like messages from people
still living 0 ticks past the epoch to appear at the top of my index
menu...

How does Mutt sort messages? Does it look for a certain message header?
Or for a IMAP flag (I don't really know IMAP...)?

Explanations are most welcome!

TIA, Jukka

[1] http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-6.html#sort_aux
[2] http://www.linux-france.org/prj/imapsync/