[un]alternates not quite working

Greetings,

I'm not yet sure if this problem is an error on my part, or whether mutt
doesn't behave quite the way the documentation appears to read.

In my .muttrc, I have the following two lines (the second is broken here to
fit in 72 chars -- it's one line in the file):

  alternates ^.*?@discworld\.dyndns\.org$
  unalternates ^(scunningham|shannonc|shannon|cunningham|
    shannon\.cunningham)@discworld\.dyndns\.org$

Yet mutt still treats these addresses as "me" when replying, etc, even with
reply-self explicitly unset.

The documentation on alternates and unalternates is pretty clear, but it
doesn't appear to be working for me.  What should I be checking next?

I'm running the latest CVS, updated every month or so.  I updated again this
morning to make sure this hadn't yet been fixed.  `mutt -v` output follows
below.

Charles

  $ mutt -v
  Mutt 1.5.6i (2004-02-01)
  Copyright (C) 1996-2002 Michael R. Elkins and others.
  Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
  Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
  under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

  System: Linux 2.2.24-6.2.3 (i586) [using ncurses 5.2]
  Compile options:
  -DOMAIN
  -DEBUG
  +HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  -DL_STANDALONE
  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
  -USE_POP  -USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  -USE_SSL  -USE_SASL  -USE_SASL2
  +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
  +HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
  +HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME
  -CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME  -BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
  +ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
  +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
  +HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  -HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID  -HAVE_GETADDRINFO
  ISPELL="/usr/bin/ispell"
  SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
  MAILPATH="Maildir/"
  PKGDATADIR="/usr/local/share/mutt"