Re: msmtp and authentication

Re: amoyamour in <20040512142411.GA4154@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> I am using msmtp for sending emails.
> I recently signed up for a freemail account in spymac.com and I need to use
> msmtp to use its smtp server.
> however, it is in msmtprc file, I set authentication to 'plain' and 'login'
> but got messages saying not supported.
> I then configured sypleed to send mails and it has 'auto' option for smtp
> authentication.
> Then what does this 'auto' stand for? how do I set it correcpondingly in
> msmtprc?

Hello,

I don't know msmtp, but suppose the following: spymac.com is using a
standard SMTP server and requires you to authenticate yourself before
you are allowed to send mail, maybe even with using SSL encryption.
Sylpheed does the Right Thing if you configure it for "auto". Try to use
other methods beside "plain" and "login" in msmtp, or go for some other
MTA, see for example:

        http://wiki.mutt.org/index.cgi?LightWeightSmtpClients

BTW: the MuttWiki is really growing fast in the last weeks, mainly due
to folks on #mutt (freenode.net). So if you've got some time to spare,
contribute!

Christoph
--
cb@xxxxxxxx | http://www.df7cb.de/