marking mail appended to $record as read

Hello.

I have scoured the internet (and the mailing list archives) but cannot
find an answer to my question, which is this:

Is there any way to have mutt append sent mail to $record, but without
marking those messages as new?

I am relatively new to mutt: I have read the manual and configured it,
but am not competant enough to do serious programming via the *-hook
directives without guidance. Hopefully, one of these can be used here.

I am not subscribed to the list, so please CC me in any replies.

Thanks!

-- Erik Osheim