Re: [WOTA] Learning curves (was "Re: [O/T] Console ...")

Colin, et al --

Yes, this is Way Off-Topic Again, but ...

...and then Colin J. Raven said...
%
% On Thursday, March 04, 2004 11:00, Stewart V. Wright responded
% helpfully:
%
% > Have you heard of this fairly newish program called Emacs?
%
% Indeed, this reader *has* heard of it, tentatively messed with it,
% uttered a primal scream of complete and total frustration, exited
% (with difficulty) and never touched the da[rn][mn]ed thing again.

Been there!  It was like being in the minotaurs catacombs.

%
% My objection is relatively simple (perhaps also simplistic, I'll
% willingly concede that).
%       * emacs has an *immense* learning curve, but yet is also a
% complete environment.

Of course, we know that it really has a very *shallow* learning curve.
So shallow it's almost flat, in fact!

/me ducks for cover

Have you, however, seen David W Sanderson's remind program?  It's an
extremely capable calendar and reminder system driven by simple text
files and called at the shell level.  I used to use it heavily to manage
my work and class (and social, such as it existed :-) schedules as well
as remember birthdays and anniversaries.

It's just been put into gentoo, even, so I'll steal their description for
you:

  >    % emerge -s remind
  >
  >    *  app-office/remind [ Masked ]
  >          Latest version available: 03.00.22
  >          Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
  >          Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
  >          Homepage:    http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/remind/

Speaking of schedules, it's time to go and get my daughters ready for
school...

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * society and not sufficient moral courage.