Re: Mutt and IMAP connections

    Hi David :)

    Nice to hear from you again :)

 * David Yitzchak Cohen <lists+mutt_users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> > The problem is the connection: will Mutt keep the IMAP
> > connection open if I switch to a local mailbox? I want to know what
> > would happen if I switch to any of my local mailboxes to reply to an
> > email stored there. If the connection is still open at that time, the
> > outgoing email will be accepted, otherwise it will bounce back.
> Empirically, I just found that to be the case.  In other words, the
> connection is not closed down by Mutt.  Will the connection eventually
> timeout if you don't return to an IMAP folder?  I don't know the answer
> to that question, and since my imapproxy [1] would prevent the server
> from timing out the connection, I have no easy way of testing (short of
> disabling imapproxy, which I'm obviously not about to do).

    I'll take a look at imapproxy ;) Should I use it like a
'$tunnel'?

> >     OTOH, I would like to know what will happen if I go to my IMAP
> > folder, go to a local mailbox and back to my IMAP folder: will a new
> > connection be opened or will the last one used instead?
> I have an empirical answer there, too.  The connection is wisely
> reused by Mutt :-)

    Which Mutt version? I've tested this morning and a new connection
seems to be opened :( (I'm using 1.4.2.1) At first Mutt opens a
connection from local por 58885 (or something like that, you know...)
to remote port 143, and when I switched to a local mailbox and back
to my IMAP connection, a new connection was opened, my /proc/net/tcp
showed two connections (I didn't remember to look the state of the
first one, sorry).

    Anyway I'm having problems with IMAP and my ISP, so I don't know
if I will be able to switch to IMAP :((

    Thanks for the info, Dave :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--