Re: Mutt and IMAP connections

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 04:57:47PM EST, Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:

>     I'm planning to switch my spoolfile to my remote IMAP mailbox,
> but I have a doubt. I know how to configure Mutt to do that, but I'm
> concerned about connections. Since my ISP wants me to do
> 'pop-before-SMTP' authentication, IMAP is a solution, since the SMTP
> server will accept my outgoing mail as long as I'm connected to the
> IMAP server. The problem is the connection: will Mutt keep the IMAP
> connection open if I switch to a local mailbox? I want to know what
> would happen if I switch to any of my local mailboxes to reply to an
> email stored there. If the connection is still open at that time, the
> outgoing email will be accepted, otherwise it will bounce back.

Empirically, I just found that to be the case.  In other words, the
connection is not closed down by Mutt.  Will the connection eventually
timeout if you don't return to an IMAP folder?  I don't know the answer
to that question, and since my imapproxy [1] would prevent the server
from timing out the connection, I have no easy way of testing (short of
disabling imapproxy, which I'm obviously not about to do).

>     OTOH, I would like to know what will happen if I go to my IMAP
> folder, go to a local mailbox and back to my IMAP folder: will a new
> connection be opened or will the last one used instead?

I have an empirical answer there, too.  The connection is wisely reused
by Mutt :-)

 - Dave

[1]
http://www.bigfatdave.com/dave/src/imapproxy/