Re: default colour

On 2004-02-18, Stephen <kru_tch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 06:07:14PM -0800 or thereabouts, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > >On 2004-02-18, Stephen Allen <kru_tch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > OK, I guess I'm slow, I cannot figure out, which object pertains to
> > > messages flagged NEW. I thought it might have been status, but not so.
> > >
> > > Any hints?
> >
> > It's 'index', e.g.,
> >
> >     color index         yellow default  '~N !~D'
>
> Hi Gary:
>
> I tried that switch before, it doesn't work -- at least on my box.
>
> I did this:
>
> color index         red default  '~N !~D'
>
> New messages are still showing up as cyan.

I'm at a loss to explain this.  The most-recently-defined color
rules are evaluated last so they take precedence over color rules
defined earlier.  So, if you type

    color index red default '~N !~D'

on the mutt command line, you should see those messages appear in
red immediately.  That rule should also work if placed at the very
bottom of your muttrc file, unless there is a hook that supersedes
it.

You might try starting mutt as

    mutt -nR -F /dev/null

which ignores all the configuration files and opens the default
mailbox in read-only mode (because experimenting with configuration
files makes me nervous) and see what results you get, such as
whether messages are still colored and whether color commands
executed at the mutt command line work.  If that works, then one of
your configuration files is causing the problem.  If you start mutt
as

    mutt -v

it will show you where it looks for the system configuration files.

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division