Re: Using Sylpheed Address Books?

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 01:06:02PM -0600, Jacob S. wrote:
> I googled, searched the archives and read the docs, but I couldn't find
> the answer.
>
> I know lbdb works great for querying external address books for use with
> Mutt. So, I was wondering if anyone had an example of setting it up to
> work with Sylpheed's address book (it's written in XML format). It
> would sure make it easier to migrate if I didn't have to recreate my
> address book.

I managed to get it setup where I'm now using the collection of
addresses I had in Sylpheed, thanks some people here and on the Sylpheed
mailing list. I wasn't able to get it setup so both Sylpheed and mutt
can use the same addressbook yet, but it's still some good progress.

Here's what I ended up doing, for anyone else who may be googling for
the same kind of solution:

* Upgrade to Sylpheed-Claws from the 'stable' Sylpheed branch.
* Sylpheed-Claws will export the addressbook in .ldif format
* abook (abook.sourceforge.net) will import .ldif addressbooks, using
the command
"abook --convert in_format some_addressbook.ldif out_format
~/.abook.addressbook"
* After changing the line "set query_command" and adding a Macro pager,
as mentioned in the abook documentation, I can now type Q and
successfully query the new abook addressbook.

Jacob

--
Windows:

32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit
operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written
by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Linux:

The ultimate windows patch. http://www.linux.org/