Re: MH Problems

Dave,

  The delete issue can be solved by adding the following to your .muttrc
  file:

    set mh_purge

  As for the monitoring, the following info from the muttrc man page
  seems to show that only the current mailbox is checked for new
  messages:

  "check_new
          Type: boolean
          Default: yes

          Note: this option only affects maildir and MH style mailboxes.

          When set, Mutt will check for new mail delivered while the mailbox is
open.  Especially
          with MH mailboxes, this operation can take quite some time since it
involves  scanning
          the  directory  and  checking  each  file  to see if it has already
been looked at.  If
          check_new is unset, no check for new mail is performed while the
mailbox is open."

   I don't know about the "N" not appearing on new messages though.  I
do get the "N" on new messages that appear in my box.

Steve

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 06:11:28PM -0500, Dave Edwards wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I have configured Mutt to use MH-style mailboxes rather than the default
> mbox-style.  It's taken a bit of searching to get as far as I have, but
> there are still some things impairing Mutt's full functionality.  I'll
> spell them out.
>
> Monitoring subscribed mailboxes
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> I have all the mailboxes I want mutt to keep an eye on set out in the
> proper way, e.g. 'mailboxes =mutt-users =inbox'.  However, when messages
> are delivered, Mutt will indicate (and beep_new) their arrival only for
> the mailbox whose index I'm currently in.  It also does not mark
> messages as new ("N"), neither in the current index nor in ones I change
> to.
>
> Deleting doesn't delete
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Deleting messages and syncing a mailbox does vanish them from the index,
> but they seem to remain in the MH directory as comma-prefaced filenames,
> e.g. ,430.
>
> I guess this all has to do with updating MH sequences, which are dealt
> with in each directory in a file called .mh_sequences.  I have procmail
> piping messages to mailboxes through rcvstore from the nmh package,
> e.g.:
> :0 : /home/dle/.rcvstore$LOCKEXT
> | /usr/lib/nmh/rcvstore +inbox
>
> So, what can I do (if anything) to fix these problems?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Dave Edwards <dleSympaticoCa>
> Freelance and Technical Writer,
> With Special Interest in Open Source Software

Steve Mayer                             Oracle Corporation
Project Lead                            1211 SW 5th Ave.
Portland Development Center             Suite 900
Stephen.Mayer@xxxxxxxxxx                Portland, OR 97204
Phone:  503-525-3127