Re: thread problem display problem

At 2:34 AM PST on December 25 GCS sent off:
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 04:11:40AM -0500, David Yitzchak Cohen
> <lists+mutt_users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Why don't you just do something like:
> > folder-hook . "exec collapse-all"
>  Just works, thanks! I just did not know how can I do it. Mutt roxx. :-)

That's great!  But it leaves a (pointless?) mystery...

At 12:04 PM PST on December 24 GCS sent off:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 11:27:22AM -0800, Rob Reid <kepler@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > At 1:27 AM PST on December 24 GCS sent off:
> > > We have mutt 1.3.28 on Debian Woody, and I can not find a variable for
> > > thread collapsing, ie the same functionality that <ESC>+V does, but
> > > default. Is there any anyway? I was browsing the docs, but all I could
> > > find is collapse_unread and uncollapse_jump (other functionality).
> >
> > If setting collapse_unread doesn't work, you should try a newer mutt.
>  Just upgraded to 1.5.4+20031024, but still does not work. My .muttrc is
> loaded for sure, and tried 'set collapse_unread', unset, and give it a
> value yes or no,

I don't think it should be given a value.

> but does not work. Are you sure that's the switch for
> it? Is it working for you?

Yes, and grepping through all of my mutt configuration files (at least the ones
I know of) for collapse only turned up

unset collapse_unread

(I prefer it unset, but if I understood you correctly you wanted all threads
collapsed, so I suggested set, assuming (i.e. not testing) that it is the
opposite of unset.)

> As I even created a new .muttrc, only with this specific setting, and no
> luck.

You probably have a system Muttrc, (/usr/local/etc/Muttrc on mine) which was
being read without your knowledge.  mutt -v will tell you, and IIRC there's an
option to prevent reading it.

So, collapse_unread and/or upgrading was a false lead, but I don't understand
why.  Sorry.  I hope upgrading didn't take too long, and that you benefit from
the new features.

Happy 2004, everyone,

Rob

--
GPG/PGP Keys: http://astro.utoronto.ca/~reid/pgp.html
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.