Re: A Laundry-List of Issues

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 09:32:00AM -0800, Brian M. Sutin wrote:

> Mutt 1.4i (2002-05-29):

As you can readily tell, that's an old version.  You should be on the
1.5.x branch instead, judging by some of your issues below (especially
the IMAP stuff).

> I have recently been trying to use Mutt from home to remotely read
> my mail.  I have a list of bugs/issues/whatever that I have run into
> recently.  None are fatal.  I would appreciate if people could let
> me know which of these are misunderstandings on my part, so I can
> report the rest as bugs and not waste the developers' time.

I'll try as many as I can, and hopefully others'll step forward for the rest.

> Issue 1:
>
>     "unmy_hdr" does not seem to always function correctly.  Neither of:
>
>       unmy_hdr Bcc:
>       unmy_hdr bcc
>
>     make the "Bcc:" not appear in outgoing mail messages when $edit_headers
>     is set.

What you see in your editor and what actually gets sent are two different
things.  You'll notice there's a blank "Reply-To:" header also in there
if you don't have one set.  It's just Mutt's way of making it easy for
you to add blind carbon copy recipients.

Also, unmy_hdr and my_hdr aren't for editing messages per se.  They're
simply for adding (or cancelling the addition) of user-defined headers
(which happens to occur before editing).  Try "unmy_hdr From:" and you'll
see it does nothing either, since it's not a user-defined header (although
if you have "my_hdr From: blah@xxxxxxx" in effect, then "unmy_hdr From:"
will undo that, allowing Mutt to pick its own "From:" header).

> Issue 2:
>
>     My email is at "domain.com", and has the login name "user+domain.com".
>     When I use:
>
>       account-hook imap://domain.com/ 'set imap_user=user+domain.com
> imap_pass=password'
>       mutt -f imap://domain.com/
>
>     then Mutt functions perfectly.  The problem is that I have two accounts
>     at domain.com.  When I tried:
>
>       account-hook imap://user+domain.com@xxxxxxxxxx/ 'set
> imap_user=user+domain.com imap_pass=password'
>       mutt -f imap://user+domain.com@xxxxxxxxxx/
>
>     then I was still asked for a password.  The version:
>
>       account-hook imap://user+domain.com@xxxxxxxxxx/ 'set imap_pass=password'
>       mutt -f imap://user+domain.com@xxxxxxxxxx/
>
>     is unable to log in.

Don't look at me.  I use only a single IMAP account on my own system,
and fetchmail(1) everything from my other accounts into it.

> Issue 3:
>
>     In the IMAP multiple-account section of the manual, there should be an
>     example for user@host.

Send mutt-dev a patch, and I'm betting it'll be included.

> Issue 4:
>
>     In the manual, it isn't clearly written what "allow8bit" does.  Which is
>     yes and which is no?

ditto

> Issue 5:
>
>     Mutt needs to flush the GPG/PGP passphrase if it is entered wrong.
> Otherwise
>     it doesn't prompt again, and mutt has to be restarted to send signed mail.

There's a patch available for that.  Take a look at the recent mutt-dev
archives, or buzz me privately and I'll forward you a copy of the
relevent post.

> Issue 6:
>
>     Setting "reverse_name" does not appear to function.  I have multiple email
>     addresses forwarded to one inbox, ans when I reply, I want the previous
>     "To:" address to be my new "From" address.  Even though I have set
>     "reverse_name", I am not seeing this behaviour.  Perhaps the manual needs
>     to document just what "reverse_name" is using to find the address.

reverse_name depends on alternates being set correctly.  If Mutt doesn't
know that an address in the "To:" header is in fact yours, it has no
reason to assume you'd like to forge it while sending mail out.

> Issue 7:
>
>     Mutt appears to lack an environment variable MUTTRC for the location of
>     the mutt initialization file.

What's the need for?  If you don't want to pollute your home directory
with hidden files, just create a ~/.mutt/muttrc file instead; Mutt will
check for it automatically if ~/.muttrc doesn't exist.

> Issue 8:
>
>     If PGPPATH is not set, Mutt should check GNUPGHOME.  Or does it need to?
>     The manual should address this.

That's handled 100% by your PGP RC file.  Mine checks my own $PATH.
(The stock one shipped with late versions has /usr/bin hardcoded,
which I don't like.  1.2.x used to simply look in the $PATH, which IMHO
is better.)

> Issue 9:
>
>     IMAP does not give the sizes before download.  This is a problem for very
>     large files.  Is this an IMAP problem or a Mutt problem?

1.5.x does.  It's simply a feature that nobody bothered to include in
the 1.4.x Mutt branch.

> Issue 10:
>
>     IMAP does not notify of new mail.  No recheck, for some reason.  I have to
>     close and reopen the connection to see new mail.

That's weird.  Here's what I have to check for new email every second:

$ grep timeout ~/.mutt/muttrc
set timeout=1

> Issue 11:
>
>     The mutt.org bug reporting system should list most-recent bugs first, not
>     last.

<shrugs>People actually use that page?</shrugs>

/me just googles for anything interesting, and lets google sift through
the bug reports instead ;-)

> That's the list.

I hope your list is now a bit shorter :-)

> Brian

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel