Re: please explain these gpg switches...

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 02:55:20PM -0800, seberino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm confused about some switches in .muttrc line above:
>
> --no-verbose  : Why do we need this to "reset the verbosity level"??
>                  ... why isn't `--quiet' good enough??

--quiet isn't always as quiet as we like.  GPG requires both if you want
all crap /dev/null(4)ed reliably.

> --armor       : What does this too? Add a checksum only?
>                 man pages still left me confused

"Armouring" means representing the signature in easy-to-use ASCII codes
(letters, numbers, etc.) instead of in raw binary codes (which need to
be Base64ed by the MUA anyway, unless the MTAs support 8-bit mode).

> --detach-sign : this "detaches" the signature.  what does that mean?

It doesn't return the text with the PGP crap around it; rather, it returns
a separate "document" which is actually a signature of the document fed
to GPG.

> --textmode %?a?-u %a? %f  I'm most confused about all this cruft and
>                           what all these question marks and %f means.

The %gunk is Mutt escape sequences for some junk (which I'm too lazy
to lookup).  I don't remember what --textmode is off-hand, either (maybe
tunes --armor? don't remember).

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, there's some ;-)

Enjoy,