Re: Binding backspace key while using screen

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Jacek Masiulaniec wrote:

> > > I'm having problem using mutt + screen. I don't know whether it is a mutt
> > > or
> > > screen problem, but I decided to ask here.
> >
> > It's mostly screen.  It translates the backspace key, and that should
> > be the same as the terminfo description's value for kbs.  See the
> > value of the $TERMCAP variable (which has a value for kb), and the
> > terminfo entry (using infocmp).
>
> Well, when I run infocmp, I don't see any information about kbs:
>
> $ infocmp | grep kbs
> $
>
> My $TERMCAP looks like this:
>
> [...]
> :F6=\E[29~:F7=\E[31~:F8=\E[32~:F9=\E[33~:FA=\E[34~:kb=:\
> [...]
>
> So, the value of kb is ^?. What should I do now? Sorry, I don't know all
> this terminal stuff, could you say something more?

screen wants to use termcap, mutt is using terminfo.  screen's setting
$TERMCAP to show what it thinks the terminal description would be - and
if the terminfo data doesn't match what screen thinks it has, then
applications using terminfo won't necessarily get the right information.

When screen starts up, it looks at your $TERM variable, and the stty
settings and tries to guess what it should do with the backspace (erase)
character.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net