Re: lists in aliases

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 01:11:42PM +0100, Helgi Örn Helgason wrote:
:
: I'm having problems sending to a list I got in aliases, I've RTFM
: and as I understand it the right way to do it would be on one line:
:
: alias thelist First Name <first@xxxxxxxxxx>, Second Name
: <second@xxxxxxxxxx>, etc.
:
: This is how I've used to do at an earlier stage:
:
: alias thelist First Name <first@xxxxxxxxxx>, \\
: Second Name <second@xxxxxxxxxx>, \\
: etc.

I usually quote the full name but just a single backslash.  So this is
what works for me:

        alias thelist "First Name" <first@xxxxxxxxxx>, \
                "Second Name" <second@xxxxxxxxxx>

: But when I tried to send a mail using the above method (the list is
: around 50 persons) it didn't work at all, I wasn't able to send it at
: all.

How did it not work?  What did your To:/Cc:/Bcc: header look like before
you sent the message?  Have you tried it with a smaller set of addresses?

[...]
: And if I want to have more than one alias file what rules are there for
: the filename?

There are no rules for the filename.  You can name it anything you want.
Just be sure to explicitly source the alias file like so, e.g.:

        source ~/.aliases
        source ~/.muttrc_aliases
        source ~/.mutt/aliases
        source /my/little/pony.txt