Newbie's -How to can I make use of mutt?

Hi,

First of all please let me explain my background...
I am a Newbie and I have a FreeBSD O.S. installed in my laptop and I am using Mozilla Thunderbird for my emails and I just installed mutt...I do not specifically know why, but let's just say that I am really interested in learning the Un*x way...you may find it amusing...but I dreamed I about myself using mutt...last night...I did installed mutt a few weeks ago but gave-up on it because I found it a little too complicated for me...but here I am again, had mutt installed in my system and asking you guys out there for your advice, help, and maybe guidance... This is my case...I get my Emails using the POP3 with a host:port settings...I send my Emails using the SMTP host:port settings... Now to my questions...where can I start? What should I do to finally use mutt... By the way, one of the reasons that just made me install mutt in my system is that I was hoping that if I could learn how to use mutt, I could accomplish one or many of the challenges that I have in trying to learn about Un*x and finally get rid of MS out of my mind...and at least I brag to someone that I can use Un*x...hehehe...
Thanks for any help, advice, or guidances...

Rommel Ikeda