Re: How to get a summary of new mail in all IMAP folders

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 07:48:59AM +1100, James McDonald wrote:
> How would one get a summary of new mail in all IMAP folders using mutt?

Here are a couple of relevant lines from my .muttrc:
set folder_format="[%?N?%2N&%  ?] %f"
push "<change-folder>?<toggle-mailboxes>"

Unfortunately, this doesn't show numbers all of the time; sometimes it
shows all boxes as empty even if they are not.  It may have something
to do with different builds of mutt (I use, variously, the Debian
version, a homebuilt vanilla, and homebuilt mutt-guile.)  It hasn't
bothered me enough to really track down the source of the problem.  At
any rate, I can get it to show numbers by entering one box and then
returning to the mailboxes view:

macro index C "<change-folder>?<toggle-mailboxes>"

> Can anyone suggest any links regarding mutt from a GUI mail users
> point of view.... I have started putting together a list of things
> but if it's been done before I would rather build on that.

I would suggest starting with the Mutt FAQ at http://www.mutt.org/ and
proceeding with the Mutt Wiki at http://wiki.mutt.org/.  If you happen
to find links by another channel, you might even consider editing the
Wiki to help others find them.  I know several people have documented
pretty thoroughly their usage patterns of mutt.  Sven Guckes has a
huge web about it.[1]  David Yitzchak Cohen has pretty detailed
descriptions of his setup too,[2] which is interesting because of
Dave's nigh-atavistic rejection of anything remotely GUI-ish. (I hope
this description is accurate and meets with your approval, Dave :)

Then, of course, there's the list.  Chances are, if you post something
like, "gee I wish I could do X with mutt," somebody will reply pretty
quickly, with either "well, you do it like such and so," or "rtfm!
section Z, duh."  (or, perhaps "hmm, that's interesting.. sounds
useful, but I don't think it's currently possible, let's see if we can
patch mutt.")

Cheers,
 Allister

[1] http://www.guckes.net/