Re: strip[p]ing attachment lines in the pager

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:02:20AM +0100, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> On 2003-12-16 03:14:40 -0500, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:

> > I'm starting to think that coloring messages should be done by a
> > display_filter rather than Mutt itself, since these types of
> > filtering ops shouldn't really have to mess with control
> > characters ... I guess when you ask why I miss ELM, I have to
> > answer that it liked going to extremes to delegate functionality
> > to separate programs, whereas Mutt sometimes tries to do a tad
> > too much all by itself, IMHO. . .
>
> [-- not an attachment marker --]

Yeah, that's a bit of a problem. . .

> The colorizing is, in fact, done in the pager, which seems to be the
> proper place to do it.  That also used to be the case for the "[--"
> lines -- with the problem that you wouldn't be able to distinguish a
> mutt-generated attachment marker from a user-generated one.  This
> problem turns into a security issue when people become able to fake
> PGP output.

> The old work-around for this was to include a time stamp in the
> attachment marker for PGP output;

This is what my current Mutt does:
[-- PGP output follows (current time: mar 16 dic 2003 05:35:05 EST) --]
I don't suppose that's what you mean.  If you can tell me what version
still had the old workaround, I'll take a peek.  (If it was before 1.2.5i,
it was before I started using Mutt.)

> the new work-around is to generate
> a cookie at mutt start-up (a time stamp turned into a pseudo-ANSI
> control sequence) which is included in the beginning of attachment
> marker lines, and understood by the pager.

Wait, so it isn't a color escape sequence.  Okay ... hmm ... let's just
hope DGC doesn't notice ;-P

Just out of curiosity, what was deemed wrong with the previous workaround?

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel