Re: strip[p]ing attachment lines in the pager

On 2003-12-16 03:14:40 -0500, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:

> I'm starting to think that coloring messages should be done by a
> display_filter rather than Mutt itself, since these types of
> filtering ops shouldn't really have to mess with control
> characters ... I guess when you ask why I miss ELM, I have to
> answer that it liked going to extremes to delegate functionality
> to separate programs, whereas Mutt sometimes tries to do a tad
> too much all by itself, IMHO. . .

[-- not an attachment marker --]

The colorizing is, in fact, done in the pager, which seems to be the
proper place to do it.  That also used to be the case for the "[--"
lines -- with the problem that you wouldn't be able to distinguish a
mutt-generated attachment marker from a user-generated one.  This
problem turns into a security issue when people become able to fake
PGP output.

The old work-around for this was to include a time stamp in the
attachment marker for PGP output; the new work-around is to generate
a cookie at mutt start-up (a time stamp turned into a pseudo-ANSI
control sequence) which is included in the beginning of attachment
marker lines, and understood by the pager.
--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.