Re: Reconnecting to imap folders

On Tue, Dec 09 2003 at 07:08:01PM BRST, David Yitzchak Cohen
<lists+mutt_users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I wonder whether an easy way to sidestep the problem is to set $tunnel
> > > to an IMAP proxy on the local machine that'll automatically reconnect
> > > when the connection's lost. . .
> >
> >         It could work, yes. But that's not really a solution, as you waid
> > it's a workaround.
>
> Mutt's real advantage over other open-source mailers is that workarounds
> can provide almost full relief from problems until somebody gets
> the chance to fix the program itself.  My version of Mutt is 100%
> unpatched :-)

        Mine is patched, including patches I wrote (and were completely
ignored in mutt-dev, though I must say I "only" sent e-mails, I haven't yet
filed a wishlist bug report) and some patches which I can't see why wouldn't
go in the distribution (automatically forgetting wrong gpg passwords, for
example). So people *got* the chance to fix the program itself, only their
fixes weren't allowed in for some reason.

        Especially with that in mind, I'd much rather have a 3rd party patch
than a workaround.

> >         I'll try to take a look at mutt's code when I have some more time,
> > in a week or so.
>
> Ah, that'd be nice - somebody with the energy to fix some IMAP issues
> (hint: look at all the bugs involving IMAP). . .

        Hey, let's not jump into conclusions :)

        I'll take a look at the code, though, and see if there's anything I
can do. Once I'm sufficiently familiar with it, maybe I'll go through the
bug reports :)

                rbp
--
 Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel                         <rbp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
 http://isnomore.net                          GPG KeyId: <0x0DB14978>

for dir in $(find / -type d -path "$HOME" -prune -o -print) ; do
    diff -qr $HOME $dir >/dev/null 2>&1 && exit 1
done; echo "There's no place like \$HOME!"