Re: docs

Dave, et al --

...and then David Yitzchak Cohen said...
%
% On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 09:31:21AM -0500, David T-G wrote:
%
% > None at all.  In fact, it's already done.  The 1.4x docs are right up
% > there; you pointed to them yourself.
%
% The 1.4.x docs aren't the latest version.

They're the latest stable version, which is all they're expected to be.

%
% > Oh, you mean the under-development CVS docs?
%
% Yes, smarty pants :-)

Then I wouldn't look on the web page for docs for a dev branch of the
code.  At best I might look for a "get your dev docs here!" link.

%
% > I'd say a good reason is
% > because they're not the latest version of the docs but instead a dev
% > version.
%
% The latest dev version is the latest version.  Being labeled "dev"

Clearly we have fundamental differences in the general meaning of the
word "version" in relation to software releases.

% doesn't make it any less of a version.  Yes, it's a different type of
% version, but no, it's still a version, and since it's the latest thing
% out there and it is a version, it's the latest version by implication.

Nope.  I completely disagree.

%
% > Get 'em from CVS the same way you did the package.
%
% Unfortunately, that doesn't work.  CVS contains only source files, no HTML.

Can't help you there since I don't speak CVS.  I should think that the
doc source is in there, though, so go and dig.

%
% > Or get it
% > out of the tarball you downloaded to get this mutt (doc/manual.txt).
%
% ...what tarball?

The one at

  ftp://ftp.mutt.org/mutt/devel/

of course.

%
% > Or
% > press F1 and see what you have installed with your development version.
%
% nothing ;-)

Oops.  Your mutt install is incomplete.  If your F1 key is properly
mapped to point to where the docs should be, perhaps you should uninstall
this version of mutt and try it again.

%
%  - Dave

HTH & HAND