Re: How to change From: and other headers according to language

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 12:36:41AM -0500, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:27:28AM +0900, henry nelson wrote:
[...]
> Those two questions were related.  Theoretically, ~h _should_ work
> in that mode, since the header structure is available at that point.

That was my interpretation wrt " reply-hook."  "Send-hook," maybe not.

> However, we've noticed some interesting troubles with IMAP at least,
> where the entire message is fetched when trying to match on ~h ... which

I can reaffirm that I do not use IMAP.  I use the mailbox format, and
will be replying to a mail in either the default /var/mail/$LOGNAME box
or various mailboxes sorted by procmail.  All mailboxes are already on
the local machine.

> > > My original plan had been to add a speaks: field to my aliases file,
> >=20
> > This is what I'm doing now in a way, adding specific From: headers accord=
> ing
> > to "~t" patterns.  It works quite well for people I know.
>
> =2E..except that my idea (making my makealiasesrc use the speaks: field)
> automates the whole process ... if you're willing to use it, I'm willing
> to implement the feature :-)

I have to admit that I do not really understand what you had in mind.
Sorry.  Are you saying that Mutt would set certain headers, signature,
etc. based on a sourced "alias" file that would contain a list of
recipient addresses matched with a "language", so-called "speaks: field"?
Sounds like a terrible amount of work, but if it were user friendly I
suspect it would be useful to bi- or multi-lingual Mutt users.

> > Well, the best general pattern (i.e., not relying on an alias) I've been
> > able to come up with is right out of the manual: "~t .*\.jp$".  Problem
>
> Well, here's another problem you just reminded me of: how about if you
> detect a .jp guy in the To: field, but there's also a .us guy in the

It already happened to me. :(

> I like
> the idea of a custom editor since it'll be able to look at the speaks:
> fields of the two (or more) guys, and pick a sensible name for you based
> on the list of languages spoken by each recipient.

I don't understand what you mean by "custom editor".

>  (Note that doing
> this purely with hooks isn't too easy, AFAICT.)

I'm beginning to think you are right.  At least for me, anyway, country
does not indicate the language.  The content-type/charest header would
be fairly close.  I will be writing in one or other language depending
on what language the mail is that I am replying to.  I will be initiating
a mail in one or other language depending on whom I am writing to.  In
either case, I want the From: header and signature to match the language
of the message body.

henry