Re: How to change From: and other headers according to language

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 03:38:15PM -0500, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 07:51:34PM +0900, henry nelson wrote:
> > I've been trying reply-hook's and send-hook's like:
> >    '~h "(iso-2022-jp|euc-jp)"' my_hdr 'From: \"MyJaName\" <netb@xxxxxxxxx=
> s>'
> > but I get the error that 'h' is not supported in this mode.
>
> It _should_ work according to the manual. . .

I didn't see in the manual where "~h" wouldn't work -- but then I don't
really have a grasp on what the meaning of "this mode" is.

> JFF, are you using IMAP?

No.

> eww, eww, eww ... please don't do "X-Label:"s ... we'll end up encoding

Good.  I'm glad I'm not the only one of that opinion.

> > Anyone have a sleek way of changing headers according to language in Mutt?
> > What I've seen in the manual are patterns based on To: and such.

I need to clarify that what I had hoped Mutt would do is to act on the
Content-type/charset header.  I realize that that would only apply to
replies and forwards, etc., not to newly initiated mails, but for my
purposes that would be quite valuable.

> My original plan had been to add a speaks: field to my aliases file,

This is what I'm doing now in a way, adding specific From: headers according
to "~t" patterns.  It works quite well for people I know.

> fine if you use different encodings for different languages, but UTF kinda
> screws everything up.)  We can also provide a menu for hand-picking, etc.

Wow, I had forgotten about that.  You're absolutely right.

> Any other ideas?

Well, the best general pattern (i.e., not relying on an alias) I've been
able to come up with is right out of the manual: "~t .*\.jp$".  Problem
is that a lot of people I know here don't speak, much less read, a word
of Japanese. :)

So, ditto to that question.

henry nelson