Re: xemacs, color, mail headers....

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 04:19:02PM -0500, Allister MacLeod wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 07:05:33PM -0200, Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 20 2003 at 06:44:34PM BRST, Allister MacLeod
> > <amacleod@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >         Hang on, there is a "mail-text" in xemacs' mail-mode (bound to C-c
> > C-t, as xemacs tell me). I've just tried it, it works fine as long as you're
> > in mail-mode.
>
> Ah.. then that's accounted for too.  The only thing that made it stand
> out to me was its lack of documentation in fundamental mode.  (due, of
> course, to its nonexistence in aforementioned mode.)
>
> So, I guess it's up to Matt now to let us know exactly what errors
> he's getting, or exactly what XEmacs is or is not doing which he
> expects it not to do or to do.  (be do be do be doo.)

saludos,

soooo...  I've just noticed that when I start xemacs from within mutt,
it dumps me in Funjdamental mode, not mail-mode.  I wonder if that's
the reason the (mail-text) feature isn't working (well, it wouldn't,
would it?  as Rodrigo pointed out).  so maybe if I can just get xeamcs
to start up in mail-mode from mutt, the whole thing will work out
nicely.

(also, in the interim I've found the mutt-mode, downloaded and
installed it; but I can't seem to invoke it, so I'm not sure if I've
done it properly; I've commented it out).

Anyway, here's my init.el as it stands.  anything obviously wrong with
it?

;; (load "/home/matt/.xemacs/mutt")

(setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
;; (add-hook 'mail-mode-hook 'mail-text)
(gnuserv-start)

;; associating mutt with one or another mode
;; (or (assoc "mutt-" auto-mode-alist)
;;    (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("mutt-" . mutt-mode) auto-mode-alist)))

 (or (assoc "mutt-" auto-mode-alist)
    (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("mutt-" . mail-mode) auto-mode-alist)))

(add-hook 'mail-mode-hook 'axels-mail-mode-hook)

;; modified mail mode from axel -- looks nice
(defun axels-mail-mode-hook ()
  (turn-on-auto-fill) ;;; Auto-Fill is necessary for mails
  (turn-on-font-lock) ;;; Font-Lock is always cool *g*
  (mail-text) ;;; Jumps to the beginning of the mail text
)

I don't know the language but it looks ok to me :-)
I notice that even in fundamental, I'm not being put into fill mode.
Perhaps this file isn't beingread at all???  and yet I've been able to
mess with the colors a bit, so I odn't think that's the problem.

anyway, I'll keepworking -- suggestions welcome! -- as are snips from
anyone else's init.el!

thx,

matt