Re: set editor, switching from vim to emacs

On Wed, Nov 19 2003 at 10:28:29AM BRST, Chris Green <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 04:07:51AM -0500, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 02:43:01PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> >
> > > Now that puts me in mind of doing the same thing with xvile, there's a
> > > vile equivalent of emacsclient called vileget.
> >
> > <rant purpose="to pick a fight">
> > /me notes that elvis needs no elvisclient because the real elvis pops up
> > faster than GNU ed, and GNU screen + pipes allows you to do all sorts of
> > fancy copy/cut/paste ops between chat programs, email programs, editors,
> > and web browsers.  The EMACS approach would have you run all of the
> > above from within EMACS to achieve the same copy/paste functionality.

        However, you can use emacs inside screen and get the advantages of
both, which is what I do :)

        Besides, speed is FAR from being the only (or even the most
important) reason for using gnuclient. It's ery useful for sharing buffers
and for using already opened buffers in different windows (or even sharing
them between screen and X).

> vile and xvile are also pretty quick to load and I usually fire up a
> new copy each time I use them.  However it's sometimes very useful to
> be able to load files from another application into a single copy of
> the editor (e.g. some development environments and source code
> manangement systems).

        Very true :)

                rbp
--
 Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel                         <rbp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
 http://isnomore.net                          GPG KeyId: <0x0DB14978>

Q: What goes through the mind of a skydiver at 120 mph?
A: Anything he hits...