Re: what colors are "legitimate"?

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 12:57:35AM -0500, Allister MacLeod wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:42:12PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * henry nelson <netb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-17-03 21:33]:
> > > I was trying to use the color "lightgray", but at startup Mutt tells me
> > > there's no such color.  Could someone point me in the direction of a
> > > list of colors Mutt recognizes?  TIA
> > /usr/local/doc/mutt/manual.txt
>
> Specifically, section 3.7. Using color and mono attributes.  The key

Thanks, Patrick and Allister.  I found the seven colors and the deal
about "bright".  Referring to Allister's other help, _experimentation_
is critical.  I had colors working pretty much to my liking on this
NetBSD machine, but with the exact same color directives in .muttrc,
it's a bit of a mess in a couple of places on the Solaris machine I
recently got Mutt to run on.  (Specifically, the blank tilde lines,
the headers, and the bottom status line.)  I *think* it's some kind of
glitch with the S-Lang library, but I can't pin it down.  Right now
I'm playing with setting or not setting the environment variable
COLORFGBG, and using "default" or spelling out the color in .muttrc.

> You'd probably want to use "white" for light gray.  (usually this is
> also the default foreground.)

I think you're right (on both accounts).  In general, the plain colors
are hard for me to see, so usually I need a "bright"something for the
foreground.  However using COLORFGBG to make the default foreground a
bright color seems to make the whole scheme really garish.  It's going
to take time.

Thanks all.

h.