Re: Converting html tags.

* Greg Kedrovsky <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-11-2003 17:24]:
> Hey guys, I have a curiosity question (and it's from a non-geek, so
> please excuse my ignorance of basic Mutt functions). I've been using
> Mutt for several months, and really like it. My Dad has a Mac G4 and
> just changed e-mail clients. Right now he's test driving Mozilla
> Thunderbird 0.4a. It, of course, is client that does html.
>
> My question is about where the html code is converted to text. Check out
> the changes in html that were made after Mozilla T-Bird sent me an html
> formatted e-mail:

I guess there is some program set up on your mailcap that says which
program to run for each mime type.
For example, in my setup I have mailcap with the following:

text/html; /usr/bin/lynx -force_html '%s'; needsterminal; description=HTML
Text; nametemplate=%s.html

So, this basically tells the "system" that html files should be dealt
with using lynx.
And I also have this in muttrc:

auto_view text/html

Now, when mutt sees a message which has a content-type of "text/html",
it knows by mailcap that it should be displayed using lynx. And as mutt
has it set to auto_view, it will be displayed automatically.
When I open an html message, I see these headers:

[-- Autoview using /usr/bin/lynx -dump -force_html ''/tmp/mutt.html'' --]

I guess you should have some similar header in your display window.

OR if you don't, then I am completely wrong, and for sure, Thunderbird
is taking the html from the message, converting it to text the way it
believes is right, and then sending. Might be this as well.

To know for sure, have a look at the message source. You can see it by
pressing "|" (pipe) and then typing "less" (no quotes). You'll be piping
the message to "less". Check the format of the message. If it's already
converted to what you wrote, then it's Thunderbird. If not, should be
mutt.

--
Bruno Lustosa, aka Lofofora          | Email: bruno@xxxxxxxxxxx
Network Administrator/Web Programmer | ICQ UIN: 1406477