Converting html tags.

Hey guys, I have a curiosity question (and it's from a non-geek, so
please excuse my ignorance of basic Mutt functions). I've been using
Mutt for several months, and really like it. My Dad has a Mac G4 and
just changed e-mail clients. Right now he's test driving Mozilla
Thunderbird 0.4a. It, of course, is client that does html.

My question is about where the html code is converted to text. Check out
the changes in html that were made after Mozilla T-Bird sent me an html
formatted e-mail:

>*This should be BOLD.*

That whole line was bold when he sent it out. Was it Mutt that stripped
the <B> and </B> tags to replace then with the 2 "*"?

Underline was changed to include an underscore on each end:

>_This should be UNDERLINED._

And italics got a slash on each end:

>/This should be Italics./

He even put in one of the stinkin smilies (you know: yellow, round,
happy... my personal preference is the one with a bleeding bullet hole
in is happy yellow forehead)...

>And this should be a yellow smiley face  ----->  :-)

I hope this isn't too rudimentary of a Mutt question that it honks
someone off. If so, please excuse my ignorance and just delete.

Thanks ahead of time.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4i on Red Hat 8.0 Linux