Re: upgrade of mutt 1.3.28i

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 03:18:41PM +0100, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:

> Hello,

Hi :-)

> as anybode obviously can see, I'm currently running an "older" version
> of mutt, 1.3.28 - the one which has been included in Debian. I want to
> upgrade to something newer. Anyway, I don't know which version would be
> best.

Aren't there DEBs of modern Mutts?  Rather than redoing the distro
maintainers' work, why don't you just grab a new DEB?  I'd recommend
the 1.5.x series, since both 1.4.x and 1.5.x are rather stable with
standard mboxes, and neither is even half stable with IMAP.  (If you
see a message about "CLOSE failed," for instance, back up anything
you can ASAP.  If you're going to edit a message for a while (e.g. if
you're gonna step out while your editor is open), make sure to back
out (don't forget to postpone the message) and reload your mailbox (to
force a keepalive) every few minutes, to avoid the previous sentence.
There are many other gotchas in the IMAP code, and I discover new ones
way too often for my taste.)  However, the 1.5.x series has a whole slew
of new features, and better standards compliance to boot, so at least
you get a cooler email program until it crashes :-)

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel