upgrade of mutt 1.3.28i

Hello,

as anybode obviously can see, I'm currently running an "older" version
of mutt, 1.3.28 - the one which has been included in Debian. I want to
upgrade to something newer. Anyway, I don't know which version would be
best.

As I understand it, 1.4.1 is considered "stable", while the 1.5.x are
unstable. Is this right? Is it really "better" to use 1.4.1 instead of a
1.5.x, or are these "stable in reality"?

Furthermore, I have some questions regarding the patches that have been
included in Debian. I searched the web but could not find much
information for most of them.

mutt --version give the following applied patches:

.  patch-1.5.tlr.mx_open_append.2
.  patch-1.3.28.cvs.indexsegfault
3. patch-1.3.27.bse.xtitles.1
.  patch-1.3.26.appoct.3
.  patch-1.3.15.sw.pgp-outlook.1
.  patch-1.3.27.admcd.gnutls.19
.  Md.use_editor
.  Md.paths_mutt.man
.  Md.muttbug_no_list
.  Md.use_etc_mailname
.  Md.muttbug_warning
.  Md.gpg_status_fd
1. patch-1.3.24.rr.compressed.1
2. patch-1.3.25.cd.edit_threads.9.1
4. patch-1.3.23.1.ametzler.pgp_good_sign

What I have found out searching mutt.org (especially
http://www.mutt.org/links.html) and with google:

1. can be found here: http://www.spinnaker.de/mutt/compressed/
2. can be found here: http://cedricduval.free.fr/download/index.php3#threads
3. Seems to be related to the X window system; since my mail machine is
   a text-mode only system, it is not important for me.
4. Seems to be something from the Debian system, as I have seens a
   posting on mutt-dev on it. Anyway, I haven't found out the purpose of
   it.

I have not found any information on any other patch (without a number),
so I don't know what they do.

Honestly, I think 1. and 2. are the most important for me, but possibly,
anyone can give more information why the one or other of the patches
could be needed?

Thanks for any help,
   Spiro.