Re: only keep last week's mail

Pablo, et al --

Nicolas appears, in my estimation, to be about right; this is mostly
stuff that is covered in the manual and has been discussed on the list a
lot.  So if you've read and searched, you should have some examples along
that we can see what ground you've covered and perhaps merely correct one
minor detail (or perhaps completely turn you around and set you on the
right path; one never knows).

All of this boils down to "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way", if I may
be so bold as to directly quote the title of a very helpful work.  You're
not being singled out because you're a bad person but because your question
(or questions, as noted below) left a lot of detail to be desired.

With that in mind, I'll expand on his answers a little, but the homework
is still left to the student ;-)

...and then Pablo Hoertner said...
%
% hiya!

Hi!

%
% this is a repost! can anyone out there help me, please?

FWIW, I couldn't find your original message, either.  Of course, I didn't
look too terribly hard, but I definitely follow the list.  I'd hazard a
guess that your original message didn't make it for some reason.

%
% best regards,
% pablo
%
% ----- Forwarded message from Pablo Hoertner <pablo@xxxxxx> -----
%
%
% does anyone know a how to do this? is there some kind of tiny hack

There are about a zillion ways to approach this problem.  Yes, I'm sure
lots of people know how to do it.

% needed or does there exist a preset macro in mutt-default (debian)?

There is no preset macro for anything like "delete all mail older than
one week", but it would be quite easy to make your own if you didn't want
to keep having to type in the commands to do so.  I haven't bothered to
make a macro for "tag all mail received more than three months ago" for
moving to my archives because I only use it every few months.  I wouldn't
call either a hack, so I can thus safely say that there is no hack needed,
either.

% and: how do i tag-all (mail, attachment etc.)?

Are you mixing threads?  Tsk tsk ;-)

When you tag a message you get all of its attachments, so tag-pattern
should be sufficient there.  If you only want to do something with
certain attachments of a message then go into the attachments menu and
tag each as needed.

%
% i use imap and just want to keep last week's or last month's mail. if

OK.  No big deal.  Pattern matching based on message age is covered in
detail in the manual.  Look for 'date-sent' or 'date-received' as you
prefer (I, for instance, pretty much don't trust the clocks on other
people's computers so I never use the former).  By the time you've done
this a few times you will know without needing to check that Pattern
Matching is section 4.2 of the manual :-)

If you want mutt to automatically delete anything older than <n> then a
folder-hook would probably be helpful, but is not necessary.

% possible, it would be nice to keep older threads, too, but this might be
% difficult and isn't really necessary ...

Well, if you don't ever delete anything then you'll certainly keep the
older threads, and that's *really* easy :-)

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) davidtgwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"