Newbie configuration - sending email (SMTP)

Mutt 1.4.1i.

I found the documentation very lacking on this section.
It only tells you how to compose a message.
There is nothing there that tells you how to actually send this message
via SMTP.

So I assume you must use sendmail to send the emails you use mutt to
compose.

Does anyone have a simple sendmail.cf file (or perhaps what simple
changes are required to the default one) to configure it to send email?

How does it get triggered?
Can mutt call this directly after you compose a message?

TIA,
Dave